Friday, October 16, 2009

Shining examples

Shining examples

By Don Monteiro

How a hardcore criminal can repent and turn towards God; a roller-coaster life can change dramatically; art remarkably has a sacramental dimension and life and lifestyle can turn upside down, were some of the highlights of testimonies of elite speakers who focused on the theme, ‘How The Light of Jesus Shines Through’, during Prabhu Yesu Mahotsav on Friday.

Sister Adele, of the Congregation of Sisters of Charity, revealed the stunning example of Nitesh
who was in prison for murder. He confessed that he was a former seminarian and that anger had got the better of him.

When he perceived that he was betrayed by his colleague in business, he struck him on the head with a hammer. Ever since, he became a victim of guilt and fear. In the first few weeks of his prison life he hid in a corner, unable to face fellow prisoners. But counseling sessions allowed him to free himself from the fear and guilt. Having realized his own weakness, he started working towards improving and changing. His transformation was such that he was able to continue his MCA course and was in a position to begin life anew.

“I am questioned by several persons,” said Sister Adele, who is currently serving as Coordinator of Prison Ministry India, Bangalore Unit and working for the welfare of the 5000 and more prisoners who are languishing behind bars in the Central Prison. “They ask, ‘Why do you want to serve law breakers and criminals?’. But I believe they are victims of circumstances. What if we were born with no one to love and care for us?”

“There are thousands in prison cells who have not seen the light of Christ and I waited for a chance to enter there with His light and love. My Provincial Superior too encouraged me as our Province had opted to enter into new areas of apostolate,” revealed Sister Adele.

“I strongly believe that God has a purpose and plan for each and every person,” reasoned Dr. Jeanette Pinto. “The purpose of my life was to be a teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed teaching for over four decades – until I became a victim of pollution. Strangely, God led me to meet an octogenarian gentleman who shared with me his agony and pain over the horrible plight of the unborn child.”

After being urged to attend awareness programmes, Dr. Pinto was shell-shocked to learn of how the horrific killing of the unborn child took place.

“I wondered how inhuman a mother could be to kill her mute, innocent, defenseless baby. Abortion I thought prevailed only in the West, but realized that in India, the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act of 1971, had unleashed this silent violence on our society too, resulting in thousands of abortions,” said Dr. Pinto. “It led me to a missionary challenge, to teach people that abortion was ‘murder in the womb’ and against ‘the law of God’.

“This ministry has changed my life and me. I am happy I had the courage to answer the call and give it my all,” she said.

The other speakers were, Dr. Jyoti Sahi of Bangalore who spoke on how the light of Jesus shine through art and architecture, and Fr. George Kuttickal, who spoke on Ministry to the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment